3M/Peltor, ComTac, Earmuff, Coyote Brown
- Coyote Brown
- Ear Protection
The 3MTM PeltorTM COMTAC family of headsets provides tactical hearing protection for today’s modern war fighter. COMTAC has been designed specifically for use with firearms and ballistic combat helmets. The hearing protectors feature external microphones for “talk-thru” capability so today’s war fighter can maintain situational awareness while still protecting their hearing.
- Level-dependent surround sound for “talk thru” function
- Listen-only 2-way communication available
- Adjustable sizing to fit different users
- MIL STD 810F, Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
- Submersion: 3 feet, 30 minutes, salt-water-survivable
- Level-Dependant Functionality, commonly referred to as “talk thru,” is a means of allowing safe audio sounds to bypass the individual hearing protection while still protecting against harmful noises.
- This is accomplished with a proprietary digital audio circuit integrated into the headset.
- A microphone receives the sounds outside the headset and transmits them to a speaker inside the headset.
- The Level-Dependant digital audio circuit senses noise levels above the desired threshhold and compresses them to a safe decibel level or amplifi es weak sounds to an audible level.
Compression vs. Clipping
- 3M has incorporated compression technology to remove the “clipping” effect heard in common talk-thru systems.
- “Clipping” can result in missing the first syllable of important commands.
- This technology resolves that issue and dramatically improves speech intelligibility.
EMI – MIL STD 461E
- Department of Defense Interface Standard, Requirements for the Control of Electromagnetic Interference Characteristics of Subsystems and Equipment.
- RS103 requirements.
Noise Reduction Ratings (NRR)
- NRR 20dB (per ANSI S3.19-1974; NAVLAP certifi ed – tested internally at 3M’s NAVLAP-accredited facility)
- Slim cup design
- NRR 20 dB
- Level dependent function for ambient listening
- Fully independent dual earphone system for talk through and external radio signal
- Compatible with the majority of ballistic helmets on the market
Clear and reliable communications are critical to success in most military operations. To be able to communicate whilst at the same time being protected from harmful noise levels is a vital necessity, both for exercises and actual combat situations. Noise levels are often so high that they can cause immediate and permanent damage to the hearing if protection is not worn. At the same time, communication is of prime and vital importance. Orders and information must be heard and understood, both via radio and directly person to person.